Sunday, August 28, 2016

Bullet Journal

Bullet journaling has become my new therapy and secretary all in one. I have always been a notebook person who doodles, creates list, and throws a touch of art and color in there whenever possible. Like many of you, bullet journals began to saturate my Pinterest browsing and I quickly became addicted. Then I saw it take hold on my colleagues and friends, and I was in!

Over the years I have received many journals from students as gifts and was never sure what to do with them all...until bullet journals entered my life. The best part about bullet journals is you can create it with many items that you already have and there are no rules, do you.

I started with the basic calendar pages and the learning curve is evident as I progressed through the months. By November I figured out a layout that best fit the needs and journal I had.


Use: school calendar dates, tracking effective education, professional development, and personal dates.

Next I thought about all the tasks I wanted to track and created the following layouts/pages:
blog ideas-recording ideas as they come


teacher goals: new things I want to try and breaking bad habits


to read list: middle grade books


tracking clock hours: recording and totaling clock hours with a goal of hours wanting to be reached


I have many other ideas running through my head, now to think about the best way to create them in my bullet journal.

I am not sure if what I am doing is a true bullet journal, but I can say I know that in the up coming school year this will be great therapy for me that will also have big pay off in keeping me organized and on track.

On a final thought, the teacher in me coming out, is now thinking how students would love this. I want to think of ways students could do this with their own lives in and out of school. I am thinking they could track academic and personal goals, reflecting on learning, tracking their journey with growth mindset, there are so many options. I love that this type of journal is personalized and there is no one way. I can see this being very liberating for many of my students. And an added bonus of gaining a skill that will remain useful throughout their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment